Saturday, April 17, 2010

Emerging Theory

Final Learning Log

Write a blog about your personal learning theory. To do this:
- Review the study guides and text chapters for each of the following theories:

Identify points from each theory/topic that you like and dislike.

L = Like D = Dislikes

  • Piaget's Cognitive Development: L: how people learn at different levels. D: the ages he has set they should be a little larger.
  • Vygotsky's Cognitive Development: L: how it relates to social learning throughout life. D= To me it makes people do only what they see, they don't think for themselves they do what is taught. Robots.
  • Erikson's Psychosocial Development: L: I really like his way of thinking throughout his stages, and how he compares they to the real life expectancies. D: I really don't dislike any of it I agree with his model.
  • Kohlberg's Moral Development: L: because he tries to bring learning in to play through morality. D: because in these days morals are different for everyone. Some people believe killing is good and moral, so it would be hard for me to justify his model in my life.
  • Goleman's Emotional Intelligence: It is hard to react to either side, even as the book states it is not clear if emotional learning is a distinct type of intelligence or just general. So with this it is confusing to choose likes or dislikes.
  • Information Processing: L: agree with the process on how we think and store memories in our BRAIN. D: it would be hard for me to dislike this concept because I have no facts that it doesn't follow this process. Not enough info to shut this process down in my mind.
  • Knowledge Construction and Higher-order thinking:L: that there are levels that one can reach and that not everyone is on the same one, and they all can be obtain if wanting to go there. D: really not everyone can achieve the many levels because not everyone was taught or explained how to obtain the highest order of thinking.
  • Behaviorism:L: that thing are learned through experiences. D: way to keep behaviors the way we want them usually have to do with bribery.
  • Social Cognitivism:L: how it is self driven, you can learn on your own, what you want at your pace. It can be done individually or you can learn from others. to me this is more well rounded learning.D: I don't dislike this at all I agree with it because it reaches many types of learners in many way of learning.
  • Group and Individual Differences: L: everyone does learn different in different way. D: there just isn't enough diversity in our teachings to reach all levels or individual needs.
  • Motivation:L people do learn by motivation for the most part. D: people also learn because of necessity, and bribery which is not the right reason but sometimes is a necessity to get them to learn.

What? The result of the quiz was B. 40, C. 40, H. 41. They were all just about equal , which fit my opinion on how people learn. I believe that people learn through a combination of constructivism ( comparing thing to experiences or with environment) but also through behaviorism ( feelings through experiences which have conditioned their brains). I don't know what you are referring the H to unless it just has to do with the human brain and how it works. I wish the test would have just told us what the three types were, so I could have explained myself better for the H because I don't know if it fits into my person strategy.

So What? I totally believe that people learn through active learning, and from experiences in their lives that they can relate thing to. What I mean is through active learning people learn from others in many different point of views that they my not have thought of and they also have the opportunity to teach or explain their points also. So in this way its more hands on and has a better opportunity to remember feelings of memory. Experiences will help people learn through comparison what they remember how the topics can relate to one an other.

Now What? This is the simple answer. In all the lesson plans that I have written so far their are many activities in many diverse ways of translation so each student can try to relate to a old memory or create new memories for remembering or recalling information. Even when I use power points or overheads I want the students to stay active and create a fun atmosphere of learning because that is memorable.

I would like to learn more about the process that the brain goes through to store information, and what is easier to remember and recall so I can tweek my lessons to fit better to those ares. Also I would like to go into more depth on the higher order of thinking and why it is so important to take my student through so many different types of levels. I believe that if I can better understand these few items I can make my person teaching method stronger and more fulfilling for my students.



No comments:

Post a Comment