Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Teen Brain: Primed to Learn, Primed to Take Risks

Extra Credit

What? This article discusses how the brain functions, at what levels, and at what speed. It discusses a lot on adolescent people and the levels of their brain functions, then towards the end it goes through the process of how it changes to teen levels and even through late maturation. This shows the connection of the brain and the process it goes through. It shows how the brain is perfect and that it is the reason why we can live in just about any environment because the brain can make us adapt to where ever we are over time.

So What? I totally agree with this concept. Look over time how the world has changed and we are still here. I also agree with the speed of the brain, that it works and fires so fast when we are young and then as we get older things slow down. But as we grow their are many new connections made which stimulates more in our brain. So I believe more is learned at younger ages verses at the older ages.

Now What? Being a secondary education teacher I need to hope others have done their job with my students before they get to me. But knowing that the brain is still working semi quickly I would want to present as much as I can in as many ways as possible. If I can establish this into my lessons my students will have more opportunity for the items to stick in their brains for long term. I need to give them as much opportunity to learn because after high school the brain isn't learning or firing as fast and it only gets slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment